Sunday, February 21, 2016

Flour Power

I decided to jump in and get messy with one of the new photo trends - a flour shoot.  That's right - flour.  If you were expecting beautiful roses, carnations, daisies, and daffodils, you've come to the wrong place.  This is the messy, white stuff flying through the air kind of flour!

The setup - After watching tutorials and reading tips and advice online, we decided to go for it.  Before I attempted my first booked flour shoot, I realized a practice session was necessary.  A local dancer and friend of the family agreed to help me out.  I used my black fabric backdrop and placed 2 black sheets on the ground.  I knew I would be using black seamless for the real shoot but it hadn't come in yet.  Actually, the black fabric worked fine and wasn't too hard to clean up either.

Lighting - I used an Alien Bees strobe with a beauty dish on camera right.  I set up two speedlight flashes on light stands to backlight my model.  My settings on my camera stayed at about - ISO 400, Aperture 5.0, and shutter at 160-200.  I shot with my Canon 6d with a 50mm lens.

After that, we just started experimenting and having fun.  We tried throwing flour at her but some of the greatest images involved her getting the flour moving with clapping her hands or swinging her hair.  I believe you are only limited by your creativity in movement and posing for this fun shoot.  Warning - the flour does get in the air and into the eyes at times.  I wouldn't do this without a model release letting them know in case they have any breathing problems or allergies to wheat/flour. Some have asked about my equipment getting covered.  It really wasn't a problem.  My camera stayed clean and we didn't throw the flour like we were throwing a fast ball.  It was mostly gentle tosses and clapping of hands.

Well, enough words.  Let's take a look at a few of the shots, starting with my FAV-O-RITE!






No comments:

Post a Comment